who's the mommy around here anyway?

Friday, September 15, 2006

Ode de Dog

Calli

Sung to the tune of Bingo

I have a Bernese Mountain Dog
And Calli is her name-O
C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I,
and Calli is her name-O

When she walks me down the street
She pulls me off my feet-O
C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I,
She pulls me off my feet-O

All the neighbors point and stare
And keep their distance cause they're scared
C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I,
They keep their distance cause they're scared

At night she climbs into my bed
And tries to sleep on top of my head
C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I,
She tries to sleep on top of my head

A tiny lap dog she tries to be
But at 70 pounds she squishes me
C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I, C-A-L-L-I,
At 70 pounds she squishes me

Unless you have a pet, it's tough to understand how crazy people can get about their animals, like my neighbor who has a carseat for her toy Coton de Tulear. The dog cruises the neighborhood in the frontseat of the woman's Mercedes, while her husband sits in back. Now, I understand this. The last time my hairy, and eternally shedding dog climbed into my bed and tried to sleep on my head, I shoved her into the middle of the bed, where she flopped on top of my husband. He left and went into another room, and I spent the rest of the night with the dog. Which was OK with me, because the dog doesn't snore, plus she snuggles really well.

Callie doesn't fuss over what you give her to eat. She's been known to consume cement chunks, and spent one whole summer snacking on a dead squirrel that nobody could bring themselves to dispose of. Everytime she passed by the dead squirrel, she'd drag me over to it, delicately retrieve a tiny bone to nibble, and keep on walking. Ewww, but I wasn't about to fight with her about it. I wasn't strong enough to drag her away from it. It's all I can do to keep her from dragging me off my feet when we walk together, something she used to do with regularity, till we spent $500 to have her trained. That's the kind of thing crazy pet owners will do.

There's no particular point to this, except that I love my dog. My mom asked me what it was with me and the animals. I grew up in a house without any pets, but in my own home I have two cats and a dog, at least until we had to have one of the cats put to sleep. I don't really know what to tell my mom, but for me, in order for my house to be a home it needs certain things: it needs a flight of stairs (I always lived in an apartment till I had my own house, so stairs were necessary. Now that I've had them for 20 years, I know better.), children, and animals. The more the better. Bring on the shedding, the noise and the chaos. Bring on the love.

11 Comments:

  • I'm a dog person and there are no depths of stupidity to which I will not descend for my dog. Car seat for your dog? Sounds reasonable to me! I lost my 13-year-old Schipperke a year ago in January and we are still grieving. Not a day doesn't go by that we don't talk about her. When we get the boy potty trained, then we'll get a dog.

    By Blogger Antique Mommy, at 4:47 PM  

  • Well all you bloggers, isn't Molly the greatest.
    Let me tell you she is gorgeous, and beautiful inside as you can tell by her writing.
    Everyone in the hospital we both worked in, she as on OR nurse, always called her their Princess.
    She is precious, and a WONDERFUL MOTHER her Dad and I are very proud of her.
    Love you Sweetie.
    Cheryl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:15 PM  

  • I have two cats and the boss me around.
    Emme has her own leather chair next to mine and Frick in not allowed on it and if I have guests they could use it ONLY if she gets to sit on their lap if not, forget it the ankles get bit continuosly until said intruder vacates the chair.

    Have a nice weekend

    By Blogger Walker, at 6:21 PM  

  • I can't imagine my house without my furry friends! I'm limited to the kitties due to the confines of condo living, but I'd have dogs too if I had the space.

    And it sounds like "anonymous" might be just a wee bit predjudiced, there! Very sweet!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 7:08 PM  

  • Oh boy, Cheryl, that's my mom. She's very proud of me. Thanks Mom.

    AntiqueMommy - I do understand the depths of stupidity of which you speak. I've been face down on my lawn, being dragged about by my dog on her leash, in front of the neighbors. How humiliating!

    Walker - Cats rule! I once tried to walk my indoor cats out of doors. on leashes. Not an activity I'd recommend to any otherwise normal human beings. It was just plain dumb. They just looked up at me and laughed and refused to move. So I brought them back inside and never took them out again. Serves them right, too.

    By Blogger molly, at 7:16 PM  

  • I love Berners. So smart and beautiful. If ever we buy another dog, I would love to get a Berner.

    By Blogger Sharon L. Holland, at 8:32 PM  

  • You make me miss our animals. We raised quarterhorses and had a pair of Australian Shepards and multiple calico cats in the barn. I had bred toy poodles down to "Tiffany" ---6 inches tall and 4 pounds. We had one very large Alaskan Malamute and German Shepard mix named Sherman (after the tank). He was the love of our life and totally devoted to herding the horses between the barn and the pasture. We never put him on a chain, so he guarded the three closest homes in the neighborhood. he weighed 135# amd scared every car that dared to drive into our driveway. He just stared with those almond shaped markings over his eyes and did the crooning noises that Malamutes make. We can't have animals in condos and travel back and forth to Florida, however, if I am ever widowed----I will stop at the breeders on the way home from the burial! My DH really has a way with animals---He has done all sorts of medical treatments (including I.V.'s) to our horses and should have been a vet. I'll have to write a piece on how dangrous crop dusting is for outside animals. It killed three of our dogs, but the neighboring farmer had great tomatoes and strawberries.

    By Blogger Kacey, at 8:42 PM  

  • I hear you! My mom was really tolerant growing up, and we bred Lhasa Apsos, plus I had a cocker spaniel, a few fish, a parakeet, and a horse. My oldest son has inherited my love for pets, and currently we have a chocolate lab, a beta fish, a parakeet, a hamster, and a lizard. I want to get two springer spaniel puppies for the kids, but don't have enough yard for 3 dogs. I wish we had enough room...I'd get them ponies!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:19 AM  

  • hi molly;
    thanks for coming over. we are cat people as you might have guessed from the psges of my blog. in my 41 years i have had the pleasure of sharing my life with three unique canines; suzy the poodle, daisy the cairn terrier, and SUZY my precious 'just a dog'. having 6 cats right now is not 'dog' friendly. when we are fewer in feline, a chocolate lab may be in our future. hope you have a great weekend. poet

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:53 AM  

  • I've blogged a few times about my dog and they always seem to draw the most comments. Then look at the popularity of the best-seller Marlee and Me by John Grogan. Pets are popular subjects these days.

    BTW, I'd never heard of Callie as a name for a dog before this year. But our son's girlfriend has a dog named Callie and I've heard others so named too.

    By Blogger Big Dave T, at 8:21 AM  

  • Dear Molly...I am away with very spotty wireless connection. But I wanted you to know that I enjoyed this post. I wrote "Can I Watch" a while back, and am workng on a new "animal" article.

    Thanks also for your wonderful comment on my site re "The Peacekeeper."

    Ciao bella...I enjoy your voice.

    By Blogger Sideways Chica, at 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home