who's the mommy around here anyway?

Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

Here in my part of NY school starts Sept. 5th. School supply shopping is the one thing I actually complete before the appointed date, because there’s no way I’m going to be caught dead in Staples standing on a check-out line a mile long, after having spent an hour circling the parking lot for the privilege of fighting over the last Hello Kitty notebook. No way!

In Laura's high school, teachers are much less fussy about the kids' supplies, and leave it to the students what they want to use, but this year there are a few things I’m insisting that Laura have, based on knowledge of her work habits. Harry Potter had his Goblet of Fire, but Laura will have her Dreaded 10th Grade Homework Forgetting and Meltdown. The extra supplies I’ve purchased include lots of post-it notes, glue sticks, and a super-duper superior staple gun.

Laura’s homework forgetting can be broken down as follows:

a. She forgets that she has homework in any given subject or subjects.
b. She remembers that she has homework, but forgets the assignments.
c. She remembers that she has homework, remembers the assignments, but forgets the books she needs to complete the assignments.
d. a & b
e. b & c
f. a & c
g. ALL OF THE ABOVE

I intend to help Laura solve the homework dilemma in the following manner. I am listing the pros and cons of each method to show how thoroughly I’ve thought this through.

Post-it notes
Upside
Can write assignments on notes and stick to forehead
Downside
Not very sticky, liable to fall off forehead before she gets home

Glue stick
Upside
Can glue post-its to forehead to make them stick better
Downside
Ouch factor and could still fall off greasy teenaged forehead.

Staple gun
Upside
Stapled post-its won’t fall off forehead
Downside
Plastic surgery

Here’s hoping there’s very little stress in the coming school year. Hoping, and yes, praying. Good luck to us all.

7 Comments:

  • LMAO

    I am sitting here recalling doing elementary school five times
    Once when I went and once when each of my kids and step kids went LOL

    Good Luck

    By Blogger Walker, at 3:17 PM  

  • HAHAHA! Oh the joys of school supplies! I give my 2 oldest children 25 bucks a piece and let go by themselves and get whatever they want and need. I figure they know more than me about it and I dont have the energy to fight over the last sharpie set or the hottest 5 subject college ruled notebook. But, so far so good. LOL...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM  

  • We have a grandson with an I.Q. in the genius range. This is the one who will be 23 this week and is in The Defense Language Institute in Monterery, California learning Arabic for the Air Force. He, also, is know to run into walls that unexpectedly rise up and smack him. During Junior High, the teachers had my daughter get him a divided document folder. He was supposed to put his homework in separate sections, so he could keep assignments straight --- but he forgot to do his homework or forgot where he put the folder. His thoughts on the matter were, "Why do homework when I already know all this stuff?" When he was in college and ran out of money for more computer engineering classes --- he just toddled down to the AF Recruiter and took a decoding test. He got the highest score they had ever had at the center where he took the test and they happily took him and shaped him into a person who doesn't forget the little things anymore. I think it's time to turn your cute daughter loose and tell her that it is her life to make it or break it! Lots of luck!

    By Blogger Kacey, at 2:01 PM  

  • Hi all! Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    Kacey - again thanks 4 help setting up blogroll. Unfortunately, when Laura forgets something, the result is that I get to listen to her whine and I can handle anything but that! Otherwise, you're right, I let her deal with the consequences of her actions and she's utterly adorable as well as amazingly capable!

    By Blogger molly, at 2:27 PM  

  • Wonderful Molly! I remember well these days and can you belive tht I actually miss them? Thanks for the reminder...and the memories.

    Ciao bella...

    By Blogger Sideways Chica, at 11:05 AM  

  • LOL! That is hilarious! Maybe you could have a dry erase board surgically implanted on the forehead?

    By Blogger BlondeBlogger, at 1:36 PM  

  • A dry erase board??? I can't believe I didn't think of that!!! That's a great idea. LOL

    By Blogger molly, at 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home