who's the mommy around here anyway?

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Slow Cooked Blues

Ode to a Slow Cooker

Crock pot, oh crock pot
I do love you so
You feed my whole family
Without you it’s all sloppy joe

No pots and no pans
No mess and no fuss
Our nutrition you’ve saved
No fast food for us

So here’s to my slow cooker
I do not regret
Converting you from planter
For meals we’re now set


Now that a reversal in financial fortunes has caused me to convert my mostly figurehead role of domestic princess into the more active role of chief cook and maid, I find myself in the unenviable position of having to cook meals on a somewhat regular basis. Husband and youngest child find themselves in the unenviable positions of having to eat said meals, so they think their positions are somewhat worse off than mine. To that end, I’ve discovered that my crock pot is useful for soooo much more than just holding the outgoing mail.

My crock pot, together with the “Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook” have become my best friends. They’ve been in my house for a long time but I don’t know how I managed to get along without using them for so many years. Just throw the required ingredients into the crock and voila, hours later, dinner! No dirty pots, no dirty oven, and there’s nary a bad recipe in the book! I would venture to say that without these two items, and throw in my food processor because there’s no way this domestic princess is ever going to cry over chopped onions, my family would be eating on the cheap at Burger King every night, nutrition be damned, I’ve got fingernails to preserve.

I have friends who can whip up a nutritious and delicious meal from the most rudimentary ingredients. If they had beer and tomatoes in their fridge, somehow by dinnertime they’d turn it into a three course gourmet feast. I think the ability to cook well’s a God given talent, and while God gave me many talents, I must have been waiting in the wrong line when he gave out cooking. If I don’t have a recipe book, I can cook three things: scrambled eggs, spaghetti with bottled tomato sauce and meatloaf, and the meatloaf’s if-fy.

I like watching The Learning Channel and they have a program, Take Home Chef. I’ve only watched it start to finish once, because the things they cook are way too ambitious for me, and of course I really do think that the yummiest thing on that show is the chef himself and let’s not go that way, but cooking really is an art. I take my hat off to all the artists out there. My family will have to be content with other people’s slow-cooked hall of fame recipes. I’ll shed a tear of regret into my crock pot for all those never-to-be-cooked gourmet meals as I plop together all tonight’s ingredients, and then I’ll get back to knitting, something I’m good at, because I just made the swap of the century. I traded a pair of my hand-knitted socks for a week’s worth of my friend’s home cooked meals. Take that, TLC!

13 Comments:

  • I love your Ode to the Crock Pot! LOL My husband is a great cook. He probably does 75 percent of the cooking. I am getting better, but I don't really enjoy it. He gets so happy when I actually have a hot meal prepared when he gets home from work. Poor guy. We had a Digornio pizza last night before soccer practice. (Oh, try allrecipes.com. It's a great recipe site).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:42 AM  

  • Jamie, thanks for the recipe site. I love recipes. I have a bunch of cookbooks.
    Why do I love to read them, even when I don't often use them?

    By Blogger molly, at 9:01 AM  

  • You just gave me a great idea! I have my slow cooker stuck in the back of the cupboard out of sight. Time to pluggerin and filler up! Hopefully it will taste as good as your fix it and forget its!

    By Blogger Susan, at 10:10 AM  

  • i do not use the crock pot at all, it is holding junk in the back closet. i guess because my husband is vegertarian and i cook mainly very fast recipes, basically white rice and a dish of veggies that cooks fast in the microwave oven. but i love looking up recipes for any type of cooking. i only cook when i am in the mood or HAVE TO! check out my blog for my latest recipe!

    By Blogger Me, at 10:29 AM  

  • I have 3 and I use them all the time but I love to cook.
    And its alot easier than hanging out infront of the stove.
    Thanks for stopping by :)

    By Blogger Walker, at 12:53 PM  

  • Love your poetry --- with nursing, knitting and writing ---- who needs cooking, too? I do the nursing, knitting, quilting and a touch of writing, but not nearly as well as you and so many other bloggers. I, also, took basket weaving, so when I go to the asylum ---- I can teach! I have a few great receipes that look like you may have done a tad of work ----let me know and I'll send them off to you. What good is a fake, if you can't share it?

    By Blogger Kacey, at 1:58 PM  

  • In the summer the slow cooker is the way to go to keep the heat down and to stay out of the kitchen or it is at my house.

    My husband does most of the cooking around here and loves it, I'm lucky in that respect actually I'm lucky in so many respects

    Take care and have a nice day.

    By Blogger Vickie, at 2:18 PM  

  • I need that recipe book! Do your kids like cabbage? My family does NOT, but I found a GREAT easy recipe for egg rolls using bagged tri-color coleslaw and hamburger, and now my daughter BEGS me to make egg rolls! If you're interested, I'll either post the recipe or email it to you!

    By Blogger KLee, at 3:54 PM  

  • To all, thanks for the comments and I'll take any and all recipes that you want to share. I do get tired of making the same old stuff! Those of you whose SO's cook, you're truly blessed. Mine won't touch raw food. I could write a book about his quirks.

    By Blogger molly, at 10:07 PM  

  • I used to cook in the crock pot quite a bit...then I discovered that it made a great dye pot. Now I eat alot of frozen pizza. ;)

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 9:14 AM  

  • Hi Molly,
    I'll definitely have to keep your comment in mind when I write an upcoming article in response to a question I received from a guy who wants to know, "Should I expect my wife to do all the housework?" He might get it if I point him at your comment :o)

    Thanks for your input!
    Andrew
    "To Love, Honor and Dismay"

    By Blogger Andrew McAllister, at 6:41 PM  

  • I love my crock pot! I dont use it as often as I would like. Right now it is a holder for plastic container lids. LOL.. Maybe I should drag it out and bring it back to life. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:49 PM  

  • I believe my wife has a crock pot, but I think the only time I see it come out is when we go to potlucks.

    But if I mention all the great crockpot recipes I'm seeing here and elsewhere, it'll be like volunteering. So I'm twixt and tween.

    By Blogger Big Dave T, at 12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home