who's the mommy around here anyway?

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Dear Lizzie

Dear Lizzie

I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of you. This has been a difficult summer for you. You spent the summer on your own and away from home. You were fired from your first job, lost your first love and have managed to survive with both your pride and your sense of humor intact. Be proud of yourself, because survival of these trauma is no mean feat.

Good luck in your new job at the pizza place. Don't eat more than you serve. I advise you not to do any bodily harm to ex-boyfriend's ex-girlfriend and am so proud of you when you tell me that just two short years ago you would have hauled her ass out for a good whooping, but now that you've developed a conscience you find that you're unable to carry through with said whooping. You're right, this is, indeed, maturity.

Today you started your second year of college with enthusiasm and requests for increased financial support. No problem. We’re here for you. Dad and Laura and I love you. Money will be forthcoming.

Mom

8 Comments:

  • I know that love flows downward --- as God's love flows down to us through Christ. Parents love their children in the same manner --- pouring love downward to their children without reservation. I told my oldest that she would never understand how much I loved her until she had her own children. When she took her firstborn forward to dedicate him back to God, she told the whole congregation that she finally understood what I had told her. Lizzie, I hope you know how much your mom loves you. Copy and paste her love letter into your computer and read it when you are feeling blue.

    By Blogger Kacey, at 3:57 PM  

  • What a beautiful post and one that will be treasure for years.

    You and your daughter have a very special relationship and it shows.

    May it always remain as special as it is today.

    By Blogger Vickie, at 4:55 PM  

  • What a beautiful letter from a loving, caring and devoted mother to her daughter. Lizzie is lucky to have you and I am sure that you are lucky to have her.

    By Blogger Me, at 5:23 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Me, at 5:23 PM  

  • What a sweet encouragement! You write very well.

    Thanks for directing me to the Falcon post too, that was cool. :)

    By Blogger WarriorWife, at 7:17 PM  

  • Very nice post
    Its how we should all talk to our kids.
    It shows you have a close relationship with your daughter.

    By Blogger Walker, at 10:54 PM  

  • Very nice post
    Its how we should all talk to our kids.
    It shows you have a close relationship with your daughter.

    By Blogger Walker, at 10:54 PM  

  • Whoa, whoa, whoa. Money will be forthcoming? Careful what you say. My young adult children sometimes track my comments on the blogs of others. Please attach some strings.

    Let's see if we can put it another way: If you need financial support, we will do what we can, but remember that frugality is a virtue."

    That hasn't worked on my kids yet, but it's worth a try.

    By Blogger Big Dave T, at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home