who's the mommy around here anyway?

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Mom, you're not fat...

I’m 5’4 ½” and I used to weigh 195 lbs. I went clothes shopping with my daughters one day.

Me, depressed, looking at myself in mirror while trying on clothes: “I’m so fat.”

Liz: “You’re not fat.”

Laura echoes: “Mom, you’re not fat.”

Less depressed now. Isn’t it great, being seen through your children’s loving eyes!

Me: “I feel fat.”

Liz: “Mom, you’re not fat, you’re just obese.”

Uh oh.

Me: “And that’s supposed to make me feel better how?”

Liz: “You know. You’re not that fat.”

Me: Non verbal communication here. I think I non-verbally said, "WTF".

Liz: “I went shopping with Ex-boyfriend, and he always said the same thing. He said that he was fat and I told him, ‘Oh, Ex-boyfriend, you’re not fat, you’re just obese.’ What’s wrong with that?”

Me: “Liz, do you know what ‘obese’ means?

Liz: “Well, duh, it means a little overweight.”

Me: On the one hand, I just wanted to stop right there because at 195 lbs, well it should be obvious why I wanted to stop, but on the other hand, I felt that I had a parental obligation to lift the veil of ignorance from my daughter’s eyes. “Liz, obese means really, really fat.”

Liz: “Oh"…. sigh …. another sigh …."Do you think that’s why he broke up with me?"

Me: “No, honey, not possible. Could you hand me that other tent, excuse me, dress to try on?”

Liz and Laura together, exasperatedly, in two part harmony: “Mom, you’re not fat.”

Me: “Right, just obese.” ...Sigh.

3 Comments:

  • Obese is such a big, ugly word! Your children made it into a nice word ---bless their hearts. The old standard for overweight was 10% over the insurance standards and obesity was 20% over. I have grown a couple of inches since I got married, but need to grow a bunch more to fit my weight now! Let's see 5'4" x 5# per inch = 120. Over weight =132 and obese =144! Sure!---That's why the Health Channel makes all those shows about 144 pound women--- Sheesh!

    By Blogger Kacey, at 6:56 PM  

  • LOL! That's so funny! It's a good thing you set them straight. That long pause was probably your daughter thinking back to every possible person she might have used that word with, lol.

    By Blogger BlondeBlogger, at 2:33 PM  

  • LOL!!! This is a great post. Good sense of humour! Great story

    By Blogger ljk, at 6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home