who's the mommy around here anyway?

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Mysteries of the Universe

Every now and again I like to read some good non-fiction, and my tastes run to history, and to physics. Stephen Hawking confounds me, but Brian Greene writes at a level I can just barely understand and enjoy. I discuss his writing with Laura, my 15 yr. old, and we marvel at all we don't understand about the universe and the mysteries thereof.

Mathematicians and physicists seem to be trying to work on something familiarly called the "Theory of Everything," a theory that would explain how the universe works. It would be a fluid theory without fault which would work in every given situation. In my limited understanding, the theories that currently explain our universe work well, but each works only under narrow and specific circumstances. The theory of everything might have to take into account that our understanding of the three dimensional nature of our universe is flawed and that there are more than three dimensions, perhaps many more than three, depending on who you believe. As Brian Greene states it, and my understanding is limited by my lack of genius, there could be dimensions so large or so small that they are imperceptible to our senses, and can only be measured by devices that we haven't yet invented. But in the future..... We're making strides, and the future holds limitless possibility. All will be understood, told, unveiled. I look forward to unraveling the mystery. I believe that once you lift the foggy veil, you'll be able to see to the heart, to the core of it all. I often think that the heart of the mystery is really the face of God. I also think looking at the face of God is a scary proposition.

I believe in God, not the literal, biblical, creation in 7 x 24 hr. days God, but God nevertheless. I believe there's a point to the lives that we lead, that it isn't just nonsense or accident that put us here. I also think that a little bit of mystery is good for the soul. Indeed, if there is no God, then is there a soul? If we understand all that there is to understand, if we can explain away all the mystery with science, where then falls morality? Without God, can we have a moral center or a moral compass?

I look forward to finding out if string theory is reality. I look forward to seeing if science can find a unifying theory to explain the workings of the universe. I don't want anyone to explain to me that I have no soul (yes, there's a book out there written by a brilliant man of science who explains biology and shows just where in the brain the soul might originate, but I don't really want to know this). I want science and faith to mesh, like two friends who agree to disagree and somehow find a way to co-exist, not just peacefully, but agreeably, happily, with backyard barbecues and occasional block parties on holidays. Is this too much to ask?

14 Comments:

  • Heavy thoughts. I too could not decipher Hawking, though I read one of his books cover to cover. Don't think they'll ever come up with a unified theory to explain everything. Just my guess.

    By Blogger Big Dave T, at 11:46 AM  

  • Good Post!
    You could try to tell me all about everything, but Id probably forget it anyways. Mind like a sieve!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • Very good.
    As the years dwindle away, I too wonder.
    I guess we wonder all our lives, When someone gets the answer please blog it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 PM  

  • Happy Thanksgiving Molly.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 PM  

  • I think it takes a little bit of everything to make the universe tick the right way

    Happy Thanksgiving :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:45 PM  

  • just checking on you. hope all is well. and i hope you had a good thanksgiving weekend. poet

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:31 AM  

  • hi there, just stopping by to see how you are. take it easy, and we'll still be here when you return. poet

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

  • I really enjoyed your post. I too like to think that God and science are one in the same in a way that I just don't understand.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:06 AM  

  • Heavy thinking being done here. There are times when I have thoughts of this nature. So, staring up at the clouds and pondering deeply, I feel a sudden quirk where I almost can touch the foggy areas and something short circuits ----Zap! the feeling of almost understanding is gone and cannot be retrieved. Someday, I know I will see the face of God and He will explain all things --- even where my thoughts flitted as they disappeared from my conciousness.

    By Blogger Kacey, at 6:09 PM  

  • i hope all is well. been checking in on you ..... happy holidays, poet.

    By Blogger poet, at 4:21 AM  

  • HHad to give my computer to
    my husband for a time and am using this teeny, tiny tablet to enter this. Am still here and well, happy holidays to all. Hope to be back soon.

    By Blogger molly, at 2:40 PM  

  • Happy Holidays Molly :)

    By Blogger Walker, at 12:22 AM  

  • Wishing you and your loved ones a great holiday season and a very happy 2007!
    May 2007 brings us all Health, Wealth, Happiness and much needed Peace on earth.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:41 AM  

  • Hi Molly,
    Hope you had a nice Christmas.
    Looking forward to seeing more posts in the new year. Hope all is well.

    By Blogger Susan, at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home