who's the mommy around here anyway?

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

blog the 1st

Whenever the kids got unruly, I'd call to them, "Now just who's the mommy around here anyway?" They never quite got that they were supposed to be filled with awe as they answered, "You are, Mommy." They invariably answered something to the effect, "We are." They always knew who the boss was.

I became a SAHM just in time for my oldest girl to go off to college and my youngest girl to turn teenager and ignore me. Just the latest in a long history of doing things bass-ackwards. When my girls really could have used me around, I had to work full- or part-time to earn just enough money to keep them in day-care. That was really more about sending my husband back to day care, I mean graduate school, for his newest advanced degree, and his last shot at changing careers. A good man with a great education and a now infamous work history. Another story entirely.

I think a good blog can make good therapy, and since my kids don't need me, I have some time to fill. I'll fill it with self-help, and take out some of the funny stories that I love, and some of the sad, and maybe hurtful ones too. It takes all kinds of stories to make a life, doesn't it?

6 Comments:

  • looking forward to reading more!

    By Blogger cmhl, at 6:39 PM  

  • I love your humor in things. You write very well. My oldest is soon to be 19 and then there is my 16 year old son, and the caboose, my 8 year old.

    I am planning on quitting my current job in about 1 1/2 years to attend nursing school full time.

    Any suggestions on nursing school with all those kids?? LOL...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:13 PM  

  • Hi Heather, thanks for the positive feedback and for stopping by. How brave you are, going back to school to change careers with your kids still around. I went to a 2 yr. diploma program straight out of high school to become a nurse, the kind that doesn't exist anymore. The one thing I recommend is that if it's at all possible, get your BSN, and more than that, if possible, your MSN. If you're already in school get your degree,you won't regret it!

    By Blogger molly, at 2:07 PM  

  • I have wondered if it really does make a difference whether you have your ASN, BSN or MSN. I have heard that if possible, go for the maximum. I have been kind of, well, intimidated as far as going straight for my BSN or MSN. I have never been to college before and the thought of a 4 year university compared to a 2 yr. community college, makes me shake a little. LOL. But on that same note, I can go to the community college to do my pre-req's (which I am basically doing now) and transfer to a university.

    Ok, I am rambling on and on and this post is gigantic.Thanks for the advice though! I really appreciate it. Any other info you want to through at me, Im game! I soak up ANY advice from nurses I can get, literally like a sponge!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:40 PM  

  • I still need you, just not all the time. I love you so much. You're one of my best friends, even though I may not always act like it. You're so important to me and have put up with a lot of shit from me. I think a lot of other parents might have put me up for adoption, and for sticking with me, I owe you. Don't worry, you can sleep soundly knowing that when you're too old to wipe your own ass, I will pay someone to do it for you. I love you soooo much, mish-mosh. Remember that?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 AM  

  • Anonymous, sweetie, you make my heart sing!

    By Blogger molly, at 12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home